Cosopt Eye Drops Uses, Directions
Cosopt eye drops are used to reduce pressure within the eyes that may be caused due to different health conditions such as glaucoma, ocular hypertension, etc. This medication contains two drugs namely dorzolamide and timolol. Dorzolamide belongs to the family of drugs known as carbonic anhydrase inhibitors whereas timolol belongs to the class of medications known as beta-blockers. Dorzolamide timolol works together to reduce the pressure in the eye by reducing the amount of fluid that is produced within the eyes.
Cosopt pf eye drops need to be added into the eye. The usual dosage is about 1 drop, twice per day but it may vary according to the patient’s medical health, weight, and age. Ensure that your hands are fully clean when using cosopt eye drops. You may also want to remove contact lenses if you use any, at the time of use and replace them after at least 15 minutes of use. Do not touch the dropper or let it come into contact with the eye or any other surface to avoid unwanted contaminations.
Cosopt PF eye drops solution contains 20 mg of dorzolamide and 5.0 mg of timolol as well as other non-medicinal ingredients that may include benzalkonium chloride (0.0075%), sodium citrate, hydroxyethyl cellulose, sodium hydroxide, mannitol, and water for injection.
- Not suitable for use by children under 2 years of age.
- Inform your doctor if you have an eye infection before use.
- Do not use this medicine if you are breastfeeding as it may pass through breast milk and harm the nursing child.
- Avoid using this drug without a doctor’s recommendation if you are pregnant.
- May make you dizzy or cause blurry vision, do not drive or use machinery until fully alert.
Common side effects of the Cosopt medicine are as follows. There are usually temporary and may leave once the treatment is finished.
- Blurred or double vision
- Burning, itching or stinging in the eye
- May cause a bitter or unpleasant taste in the mouth
Major side effects of dorzolamide 2 eye drops are as follows. If you notice any of the below-mentioned side effects, consult a doctor immediately.
- Swelling or redness in the eyes
- Trouble breathing, wheezing, rapid heartbeat.
- Drainage or crusting on the eyes.
- Pain in the eye or discomfort
- May cause an allergic reaction such as shortness of breath, skin rash, hives, etc.